2008 Mazda CX7 Loud Whining sound when I accelerate.

SANDERSON38
  • 2008 MAZDA CX7

Noises problem
2008 Mazda CX7 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

Guys,
I have a Mazda CX7 that all of a sudden is making a "Whining" noise (similar to a cat) when I accelerate at any speed. The mechanic is not sure whats going on with it. Have you come across this sort of thing and if so what could the problem be?

Monday, August 24th, 2009 AT 5:22 PM

This is a tough one. Do you hear any sounds when at an idle? Did he check things like the alternator, water pump, power steering pump?

Monday, August 24th, 2009 AT 11:04 PM
SANDERSON38

It's not making the sound in idle. Only when the gas is hit. The sound is coming from the back half of the engine. He thinks it could be the alternator belt or a pulley but still not sure. Also, My car has a 4Cyl-turbo if that makes a differance.

Tuesday, August 25th, 2009 AT 7:17 AM

That is most lilely where I would start checking. One of the belt driven accessories may have a bearing going bad.

Tuesday, August 25th, 2009 AT 10:56 AM
ORBIT1370

I have just returned from my local Mazda dealer after experiencing the same whining sound when I accelerated. It turned out to be a simple fix which one of the mechanics had experienced a year or so ago on another CX7. A bolt had sheared on an exhaust joint which in turn had allowed the joint to open slightly letting air pressure out when under acceleration. He grinded the remainder of the bolt off and replaced it with a new bolt and nut. The problem was immediately rectified and they were good enough not to charge me. The whole job only took forty minutes.

Wednesday, October 19th, 2016 AT 5:26 AM