SUDDEN LOSS OF POWER WHILE DRIVING

1993 Mazda b2200

Cougar1969

February, 8, 2010 AT 5:25 PM

1993 Mazda b2200 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 306K miles

While driving home from work, my truck was running fine and then I experienced a sudden loss of engine power and the check engine light came on. It will barley idle and then die if I give it more than 1/4 throttle. I was able to drive it back to my shop but only got 40MPH out of it if I babied the throttle. At this point I am unable to start the vehicle and it has been parked for several days. This truck is a fuel injected model and I understand that there weren't too many of them produced and It has a different computer than the carberated ones. ( I replaced the computer last year )

davidsievert

September, 6, 2012 AT 9:20 PM

I just bought a B2200 Mazda last week and it ran fine for a couple of days and the exact same problem has occurred. Has anyone come up with a diagnosis since Cougar1969 psoted his questio 2 years ago?

adriantbibby

December, 1, 2012 AT 11:38 PM

I had the same problem when I got mine. I replaced the distributor cap and set the timing. I think timing for this model it 8 degrees. Firing order is 4213. It helped a bit. I removed the catalytic converter. It plugs up so bad and restricts the exhaust and drains power just how you described.
I also had to replace the high temp spark plug wires.
Hope it helps.

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Pressure Test