1993 MAZDA B2200 SUDDEN LOSS OF POWER WHILE DRIVING

• Cougar1969
  • 1993 Mazda b2200

1993 Mazda b2200 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 306K miles

While driving home from work, my truck was running fine and then I experienced a sudden loss of engine power and the check engine light came on. It will barley idle and then die if I give it more than 1/4 throttle. I was able to drive it back to my shop but only got 40MPH out of it if I babied the throttle. At this point I am unable to start the vehicle and it has been parked for several days. This truck is a fuel injected model and I understand that there weren't too many of them produced and It has a different computer than the carberated ones. ( I replaced the computer last year )

Monday, February 8th, 2010 AT 5:25 PM

• davidsievert

I just bought a B2200 Mazda last week and it ran fine for a couple of days and the exact same problem has occurred. Has anyone come up with a diagnosis since Cougar1969 psoted his questio 2 years ago?

Thursday, September 6th, 2012 AT 9:20 PM
  • adriantbibby

I had the same problem when I got mine. I replaced the distributor cap and set the timing. I think timing for this model it 8 degrees. Firing order is 4213. It helped a bit. I removed the catalytic converter. It plugs up so bad and restricts the exhaust and drains power just how you described.
I also had to replace the high temp spark plug wires.
Hope it helps.

Saturday, December 1st, 2012 AT 11:38 PM