Solenoid Problem

RECURVETD2
  • MAZDA 626
I have a 98 626, with 115K miles on it. My check engine light recently came on (again) after having just got it back from the shop to replace a bad O2 sensor and a faulty radiator fan. According to a diaognoistic check, the code P0400 came up. It looks like a fautly solenoid might be the problem, a very costly repair job for me, considering I just shelled out a few hundred to fix a overheating problem.

My question is this. My mechanic says I can put off fixing the solenoid until I get some money saved up. What does a solenoid do exactly? Will waiting 4 to six months to replace it do major damage to my car? My check engine light is on.

Jeremy
Wednesday, August 22nd, 2007 AT 5:34 PM

What does this solenoid controls?
Wednesday, August 22nd, 2007 AT 5:49 PM
RECURVETD2
What does this solenoid controls?[/Quote]

Emissions.
Thursday, August 23rd, 2007 AT 11:08 AM
Emissions.[/Quote] For what the Evap, EGR, etc. For a 2.0 it has 7 and 10 for 2.5L
Thursday, August 23rd, 2007 AT 4:01 PM
RECURVETD2
Emissions.[/Quote:df52540e02] For what the Evap, EGR, etc. For a 2.0 it has 7 and 10 for 2.5L[/quote]

It is for the EGR system.
Thursday, August 23rd, 2007 AT 5:20 PM
Emissions.[/Quote:1fdef5ba5c] For what the Evap, EGR, etc. For a 2.0 it has 7 and 10 for 2.5L[/quote:1fdef5ba5c]

It is for the EGR system.[/Quote] it provides vacuum to EGR -no vacuum equals pinging/spark knock and EGR stuck open equals to erratic idle/plus hesitation and all kinds of wierd stuffs that's unbelievable
Thursday, August 23rd, 2007 AT 6:04 PM