1996 MAZDA 626 5TH GEAR POPS OUT

• vmurcia
  • 1996 Mazda 626

1996 Mazda 626 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 134000 miles

I have a 1996 Mazda 626 Cronos, When I'm driving, the 5th gear keeps poping out. How can I fix it?

Sunday, March 30th, 2008 AT 10:49 PM

• mr_jeff_s

You're not alone, mine started doing this last week.

I have a 97 626 and it started just popping out of fifth when I took my foot off the gas. Now it won't go into fifth at all, it feels like it engages, but when I release the clutch all I get is grinding like the gears never quite got together.

Have you found the problem yet?

From what I can find out, most likely, it's either the shifter linkage bushing, or worn/broken engine mounts. I just parked mine and have been driving my other car until I get the chance to get under it and take a look.

Wednesday, July 2nd, 2008 AT 10:26 AM
  • Docfixit

Your problem is worn gear/syncro if no noises and reverse works and you don't want to spend a lot of money. Get a bungie cord attach it to seat, console what ever then when you go into 5th hook it around shifter.
Old School

Wednesday, July 2nd, 2008 AT 10:46 AM
  • mr_jeff_s

Even with the shifter pushed all the way up into fifth, it's still not engaging into gear. It kinda feels like the shifter needs to move forward another half inch or so. All the other gears including reverse work perfectly.

Wednesday, July 2nd, 2008 AT 10:58 AM