TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

Mazda 323

Don G

January, 30, 2007 AT 10:58 AM

I have a 1988 Mazda 323 DX with a manual transmission, The car gradually lost power in the transmission. Over the course of about 40 miles. Now the transmission will not engage the clutch at all. What can the problem be and how can I fix it. Does it use transmission fluid and if so where does it go?

Transmission Flare

Transmission Problem

Bruce Hunt

January, 30, 2007 AT 11:36 AM

The tranny is a generally a closed system. There is a drain and a filler plug on the tranny. They don't usually need much attention but should be checked occasionally.

Now the problem with the car. Answer this question. When driving prior to this would the car seem to slowly get up to the speed you wanted? Would it if you pushed the pedal down especially in first gear not burst ahead as expected? I am thinking that the clutch was slipping for you and has finally given up. You have a cabled clutch I would surmise with decent pedal pressure, right? I am willing to be based on what I have from you that the clutch is now in need of replacement.

Transmission Mount Replacement - RWD Cars
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz