WHY IS MY OVERHEATING?

2008 Mazda 3

ebernier

February, 22, 2010 AT 8:01 AM

Engine Cooling problem
2008 Mazda 3 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 50177 miles

I was driving on the highway and noticed that my AC started blowing hot air. I looked at the gauges and noticed that the engine was almost to the peak of the gauge runing hot. I immediatly turned the heat on and the temp came down to safe levels. So I have noticed that the temp goes up with the AC is on or if the car is in idle. If the car sits for a while and cools down the AC will work untill the engine runs hot. This happened while I was out of town on a sunday so I had to drive home with this problem. Thank goodness having the heat on and not going to fast kept the temp down to safe levels. What could this be?

February, 22, 2010 AT 10:14 AM

Hi ebernier,

Thank you for the donation.

Start by checking the coolant level in the system at recovery tank and radiator cap with cold engine. Top up and bleed system if level is low. You would have to check/test for leakages in the system

When engine is running, turn AC on and check if the cooling fans comes on.

ebernier

February, 22, 2010 AT 8:07 PM

I checked the fan and it works. I also checked for leaks or a busted hose. And that was negative and the coolant level was fine.

February, 23, 2010 AT 9:00 AM

All systems seems to be working corectly and that points to a possible thermostat fault. It could be partially stuck and not opening or opening far enough for sufficient coolant movement.

The other possibility is a clogged radiator.

ebernier

February, 23, 2010 AT 2:34 PM

You were right it was the thermostat and it was covered by warranty! Thanks!

February, 23, 2010 AT 3:13 PM

You're welcome.

Glad that the problem has been fixed.

Have a nice day.

Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser