Low fuel pressure

EDUARDPRIME
  • 1987 CHRYSLER 5TH AVENUE
I have the car listed above. At first it would crank but would only run for a few seconds on starter fluid straight to the carburetor. I replaced the mechanical fuel pump and the filter along with the rubber hoses but the same thing happened. After troubleshooting by cranking the ignition and seeing if fuel was getting pumped from the tank, I could see that fuel was getting through and out the filter but would not get through the metal line that goes to the carburetor. I blew air through the metal line and the air was passing fine but when cranking the ignition only a couple drops of fuel where getting through. The only thing I can think of is not enough fuel pressure but I have no idea how to fix this. Need help, thanks.
Tuesday, November 19th, 2019 AT 1:16 PM

ROY B
Good afternoon,

Is this fuel-injected or does it have a carburetor?

Tuesday, November 19th, 2019 AT 1:29 PM
EDUARDPRIME
It has a carburetor.
Wednesday, November 20th, 2019 AT 2:14 AM
ROY B
Okay, thanks.

Did you check the rubber lines at the tank as well as the fuel pump?

You need around 7 pounds of pressure to deliver the correct amount of fuel.

If all this is good, then most likely the needle and seat in the carburetor may be stuck closed and not allowing fuel into the carburetor.

+1
Wednesday, November 20th, 2019 AT 2:24 AM
EDUARDPRIME
Thanks for the help.

The car has a mechanical fuel pump at the front of the car which I already replaced but, the rubber lines at the tank have not so I ll be doing that soon.

The needle and seat of the carburetor seems to be clear but I ll give it a second look.
Wednesday, November 20th, 2019 AT 6:08 PM
ROY B
Keep me updated.

Wednesday, November 20th, 2019 AT 10:13 PM

Sponsored links