LOUD ROAD NOISE IN COUPE - 97K MILES, TO BUY OR NOT?

2004 Honda Civic

ergonut

June, 5, 2013 AT 6:38 PM

Hi, I am planning to buy a 2004 Honda Civic LX Coupe with 96800 miles. Everything seems fine except for this loud road noise above 45mph which my mechanic and I could not identify. Could you let me know if this may be a problem and if it is worthwhile to get this car? He is charging me $5700. Thanks in advance for your help!

sinbad271

June, 5, 2013 AT 7:18 PM

This road noise is it coming from the front or rear wheels. While driving at about 45 and by slightly swaying the steering wheel left to right or back and forth numerous times does the noise change pitch? If it does its more than likely a hub bearing gone bad.

ergonut

June, 5, 2013 AT 9:10 PM

Front wheels. Also they are halfway worn. The noise didn't seem to change pitch with direction of the steering wheel, but increased with increasing speed.

sinbad271

June, 8, 2013 AT 10:48 PM

I'm sure it may need new hub bearings you can call your local part store and get a price. If you can raise one front tire at a time. While tire is in the air take one hand and place it on 12: 00 position your other hand at 6: 00 position while holding the tire, push one hand in and pull out with the other, in and out you may notice some movement. Also while tire is in the air spin tire by hand and listen closely for a grinding or growling sound then you'll know bearings are needed.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mini Cooper
 Oil Change and Filter Replacement Subaru
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Mini Cooper