2001 Lincoln Town Car engine hesitates or missfires

JRELIHAN3@YAHOO.COM
  • 2001 LINCOLN TOWN CAR
Engine hesitates / misses at speeds between 40 and 45 mph. In all other aspects, car performs as it should
Saturday, July 11th, 2009 AT 5:13 PM

MERLIN2021
First thing you need to do is have the codes read, Post the results with the code number(s). Even if the service engine light is not on, there should be freeze frame data stored.
If it won't make it, buy a cheap scanner, they can be had for 30-40 dollars, a good investment, since they cover all cars sold in the USA from 96 on...
If the light is blinking, it means possible damage to the converter...service it right away!

If you need more help, post the codes and we can dig deeper!
Here is how you check fuel pressure

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator
+1
Saturday, July 11th, 2009 AT 5:25 PM
JRELIHAN3@YAHOO.COM
Took the car to autozone & had the code reader plugged in-came back with no error codes. The hesitation instantly disappears with a quick press on the throttle & does not happen if acclerating quickly. Only on slow, sustained increase on throttle pressure between 40 & 50 mph. I am at a loss. The check / service engine does not illuminate @ any time when this is happening. When traveling on the highway there is never any hesitation only on accleration in the ranges mentioned
+1
Monday, July 13th, 2009 AT 5:47 PM
MERLIN2021
Start with the basics, Lincoln used 100,000 mile plugs, you are at the end of the useful life of the plugs, a fresh set with propper gap may work wonders. Change air filter, fuel filter, and PCV.
Tuesday, July 14th, 2009 AT 8:45 AM
JRELIHAN3@YAHOO.COM
I'll try that 1st chance I get & THANKS!
Tuesday, July 14th, 2009 AT 7:59 PM
MERLIN2021
Will be watching, let me know!
Wednesday, July 15th, 2009 AT 9:11 AM
JRELIHAN3@YAHOO.COM
What tool do I need to get to get the plug boots back on the plug properly? Is there some easy way to get debris from the plug well--I blew it out w/compressed air & looking in the well seems to be baked on varnish in the plug well beside the plug(s). I want to ensure that the boots are seated properly. I have never seize / silicone grease. Should the boots be replace with the plugs?
Sunday, July 19th, 2009 AT 6:41 PM
MERLIN2021
You should have coil on plug, you can replace the boots, but it's usually not needed if it's not mifiring. Compressed air is all you use, just blow out anything that might fall into the cylinders.
Monday, July 20th, 2009 AT 2:53 AM
JRELIHAN3@YAHOO.COM
Changed the plugs / air filter / etc. Worked wonders! The back plugs were boogers to get out / in but all in all a satisfying job. Thanks so much for your help
+1
Saturday, August 1st, 2009 AT 7:33 PM
MERLIN2021
OK, Your welcome.
Sunday, August 2nd, 2009 AT 7:03 AM