1996 Lincoln Town Car Stumbling

• 1 POST

1996 Lincoln Town Car V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 108, 00 miles

I have had this car to the repair shop three times,
initially, the mechanic could not experience the stumbling as it was intermittent.
More recently, he did acknowledge that a problem exisited and felt it.
In every case, he was not able to read a code; and, insisted that I had to wait until the code reader showed him a code.
He would not recommend an engine tune up as that would not guarantee to fix the problem.
High on the list of probabilities is one of theeight coils is intermitently defective.
I asked if they could "hi pot" the coils and identify the culprit.
I got a NO and I should just wait until I get a "Check Engine light on the dashboard.
There must be a way to find this problem.

Thursday, March 18th, 2010 AT 1:01 PM

First, you do NOT have to wait for the computer to throw a code before testing your engine's control systems for any failing parts. (Though it makes it easier)

There's a such thing as "The old fashion way". This requires a technician to use a DVOM, scopemeter and ignition analyzer to monitor your engine's systems as it operates. (But your mechanic obviously doesn't know how to do this)

There's a difference between a "mechanic" and a "technician".

A mechanic: Is a person who removes/replaces parts, and has very little technical and/or formal training in automotive technology and repair.

A technician" Is a person who's been trained formally in automotive technology and has experience in diagnosing driveability/performance issues, whether they be engine, transmission, suspension, etc.

Instead of taking your car to a "mechanic", try taking it to a qualified technician. They'll have the proper tools and capable scanners to do a "Drive Test". This is done with a scanner that can monitor all of your engine's systems in real-time as it operates.

A qualified technician will be able to read and interpret this data and diagnose your issue correctly the first time.

Thursday, March 18th, 2010 AT 11:07 PM