FAN SPEED ONLY WORKS ON HIGH

1995 Lincoln Town Car

gema

January, 25, 2009 AT 5:35 AM

Heater problem
1995 Lincoln Town Car V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 257724 miles

The automatic Temp. Control works but only on high fan speed. Also the manual fan speed selection only works on high speed. Is this a default setting. Is there a fan motor speed relay switch and if there is where is it located under the dash. The 1994 models had a resistor under the hood but I've been told it's different on the 1995 models.
Gema

BMRFIXIT

January, 25, 2009 AT 6:13 AM

It is the blower motor speed resister under the hood passenger side

no good replace it

gema

Dear Mr BMRfixit: Thank you for your quick respnse. It would seem that all the other years of Towncars had a fan speed resistor where you sad it is. I was shown a schematic of a 1995 heater drawing showing a fan speed relay that would be under the dash some where. Does this make sense. 1996 Towncars went back to a speed resistor. I'm just trying to clear up this for myself before I take it in for a $250.00 diagnostic check.

Thanks again for your help.
Gema

BMRFIXIT

January, 26, 2009 AT 5:27 AM

This is what I have in my books
I went back and looked it up
wiring diagram showing that the blower motor and resister on the fire wall right side

Blower Speed Controller (BSC)

The BSC is located on the evaporator case, near the blower motor. It is accessible from the engine compartment. The controller converts signals from the control module to a variable ground feed to the blower motor. Blower motor speed is controlled by control module and blend door actuator position.
A delay function provides gradual increases or decreases in blower motor speeds. A high-speed blower relay, integral with the blower speed controller, provides maximum airflow in high speed blower position.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic1_167.jpg

gema

January, 30, 2009 AT 10:07 AM

Dear Mr. BRMFIXIT: Thanks for the schematic but I cannot read it and if I enlarge it the picture is digitally deformed.

Gema

BMRFIXIT

I can and try to email it for u

marshnt

February, 16, 2009 AT 11:33 AM

I had the same problem on my 93 TC its a simple fix and only took an hour

This is located on the case opsuite side of the blower motor. Their is is a cable leading to it and a few screws holding it down. Take it out and and unscrew it from the plastic.
Take ur sodering iron or gun and reheat the solder. Let the rosin bubble out and add a little bit of new solider (but not to much). Remove any gunk and plug it in and check it.

If this dosen, t work get a new 1

JK1

July, 10, 2009 AT 6:43 AM

Hi! I'm also having the same problem with the heater fan. Could you please e-mail the diagram to me too?
Thank you!

BMRFIXIT

July, 10, 2009 AT 9:15 PM

Same year and model?
Was the fuses checked locate the blower motor
disconnect blower motor wiring plug
key on engine running or off
place fan switch at high
check for power and ground at the wire plug
if you have both remove and replace blower motor
if not what is missing
ground suspect bad speed resister if power check fuses, relay, wiring and ignition switch

let me know

JK1

July, 12, 2009 AT 2:12 PM

Thanks for instructions. I'll try this and let you know!

Engine Class - Autoshop 101
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes ML350
Air Filter Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Air Filter Replacement Honda Accord