DIAGNOSTIC = MISFIRE ON CYLINDER 5

1995 Lincoln Town Car

justinsjava

April, 6, 2008 AT 8:32 AM

1995 Lincoln Town Car V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

I have a 95 Lincoln Town Car. A couple of weeks ago, my car started running terrible. A friend suggested I change my fuel filter. I got the filter and before I put it on, the check engine light came on. Ok, I change the filter and hook up the diagnostic machine and it gives me the error " misfire on cylinder 5". I reset the codes so that it will take away the check engine light. The car runs great for about 1 or 2 days until the check engine light comes on again. I hook it back up to the diagnostic machine and it gives me the same code " engine misfire on cylinder 5". My cousin suggest I replace the coil for number 5 which is on the drivers side. After replacing the coil, the car still runs the same. I think I will try the spark plug or plug wire next, but I have heard that there is a special way to take the spark plugs out of this kind of engine. Is there a certain procedure to change the plugs (get the engine hot first) and do you think that this could be the problem or is there another suggestion?

Engine Miss

merlin2021

April, 6, 2008 AT 9:20 AM

A bad plug or wire can cause the missfire, last tune up was? Remove the plugs with the engine cold. Apply a small bit of anti-sieze compound to the threads of the new plugs. Also grab a noid light and check the injector. Measure the resistance and compare your reading with the other injectors.