1999 LINCOLN CONTINENTAL SOUNDS LIKE A BIG OLD BOAT CREEKIN

• LME
  • 1999 Lincoln Continental

Suspension problem
1999 Lincoln Continental V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 83000 miles

Hi,

when I turn the wheel left or right it makes this deep creeking noise and sounds like an old boat in a movie.
Also, I just put in a rebuilt transmission and there is a squeek there too, but nothing like the other.

Monday, April 20th, 2009 AT 4:23 PM

• M_H_RITZEL

Try using some lubricant on the rubber parts. I have had it that the rubber would get dry and with each turn the thing would sound like a old boat in rough waves.

Tuesday, April 21st, 2009 AT 8:51 AM
  • LME

My mhusband thought he did that already. Anyother thoughts?

Tuesday, April 21st, 2009 AT 9:56 AM
  • M_H_RITZEL

It could be from something that is dry and creaking. Sometimes I could something minor to something more serious. I would have the front end checked out to be on the safe side.

Tuesday, April 21st, 2009 AT 6:26 PM
  • closencounter

Hello I have a 99 continental and it did the same thing. It was the ball joints, and of course wouldn't you know they were the kind with no grease fittings. So I sliced the boot surrounding the ball joint and put grease in it. It worked will make the joints last longer and it is quite. Dana

Tuesday, April 3rd, 2012 AT 3:37 AM
  • merlin2021

If your ball joints creak, replace them so you dont find yourself in a ditch. TOWN CAR has a completely different steering gear than continental, on the spindle there is a stop point that hits the frame in a full turn. A small biy of grease there can solve the problem. If it creaks just going over bumps, check ball joints and control arm bushings.

Thursday, April 5th, 2012 AT 3:36 PM