SOUNDS LIKE A BIG OLD BOAT CREEKIN

1999 Lincoln Continental

LME

April, 20, 2009 AT 4:23 PM

Suspension problem
1999 Lincoln Continental V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 83000 miles

Hi,

when I turn the wheel left or right it makes this deep creeking noise and sounds like an old boat in a movie.
Also, I just put in a rebuilt transmission and there is a squeek there too, but nothing like the other.

M_H_RITZEL

April, 21, 2009 AT 8:51 AM

Try using some lubricant on the rubber parts. I have had it that the rubber would get dry and with each turn the thing would sound like a old boat in rough waves.

LME

April, 21, 2009 AT 9:56 AM

My mhusband thought he did that already. Anyother thoughts?

M_H_RITZEL

April, 21, 2009 AT 6:26 PM

It could be from something that is dry and creaking. Sometimes I could something minor to something more serious. I would have the front end checked out to be on the safe side.

closencounter

April, 3, 2012 AT 3:37 AM

Hello I have a 99 continental and it did the same thing. It was the ball joints, and of course wouldn't you know they were the kind with no grease fittings. So I sliced the boot surrounding the ball joint and put grease in it. It worked will make the joints last longer and it is quite. Dana

merlin2021

April, 5, 2012 AT 3:36 PM

If your ball joints creak, replace them so you dont find yourself in a ditch. TOWN CAR has a completely different steering gear than continental, on the spindle there is a stop point that hits the frame in a full turn. A small biy of grease there can solve the problem. If it creaks just going over bumps, check ball joints and control arm bushings.

Engine Oil Change and Filter
Coolant Drain and Refill Acura MDX
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Kia Rio
Oil Change/Filter Replacement Hyundai Sonata