NEW BRAKE ROTORS LOCKING UP

2003 Lexus RX 330

carygiles

September, 24, 2009 AT 2:19 PM

Brakes problem
2003 Lexus RX 330 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 105000 miles

I just installed new rear rotors/pads and the wheels are locked up! What did I do wrong? Do the rotors have to be positioned on the hub in some particular position?

Docfixit

September, 24, 2009 AT 2:46 PM

Hi
Did caliper pistons retracte easily? Parking brake shoes not rubbing and brake off? Did rotor rotate after replacement but siezed after brake applied?
Let me know
Thanks for donate

carygiles

September, 24, 2009 AT 3:11 PM

The pistons compressed fine, parking brake shoes not rubbing, and brake is off. I since have taken the wheels off again and the rotors turn by hand. So, yes I guess they seized when the brake pedal was depressed and the car was running.

Docfixit

September, 24, 2009 AT 4:05 PM

That's what I figured lots of time when piston is retracted dirt, pits on piston are moved into bore a couple brake applications piston will not retract

carygiles

September, 27, 2009 AT 2:26 PM

I'm going crazy here taking off and putting on the calipers and wheels. I replaced one caliper, Pep Boys gave me one good one and one with a squared side to the hole for the swivel pin. Okay, the bottom line is this: when the wheels are off - the rotors spin, when I put the wheels on (still up in the air or on the ground, they won't spin. Why can I spin the rotors by hand when the wheels are off but can't when the wheels are on the rotors? Please help.

Docfixit

September, 27, 2009 AT 3:45 PM

Rim must be hitting caliper make sure caliper is seated and bottom hold down bolt in threaded hole.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Graphic_149.jpg

carygiles

September, 27, 2009 AT 7:32 PM

Actually it turns out they gave me the wrong rotors.

Docfixit

September, 28, 2009 AT 8:45 AM

Parts guys can do that always good idea to compare what they gave you with what you have.

Wheel Stud Replacement Chevrolet Cavalier
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet