1995 LEXUS LS400 STARTER

• Art Anchondo
  • 1995 Lexus

I have a 1995 Lexus LS400 with engine type 1UZ-FE and 116,000 miles. My Lexus started making a clicking sound when I tried to start it much like when the battery is dead. However, I am wondering if it is the starter because it always starts if I try a second or third time. It seems as if by re-inserting the key and turning it more forcefully it starts. When it finally starts, it starts quickly and I cannot hear any dragging in the starter.

Your help will be appreciated, since it will cost about $700 to repair with parts and labor.

Tuesday, May 22nd, 2007 AT 4:58 PM

• Jack42

Yes, I know, have had the pleasure of installing a starter in your car. Need to find the trigger (small black wire) that goes to the starter. Be sure you are getting 12 volts to it every time the key is cranked, if so then it needs a starter, if not I would suspect the starter relay

Tuesday, May 22nd, 2007 AT 5:22 PM
  • Art Anchondo

How do I locate the starter relay since the owner's manual does not indicate the location for relays only for fuses.

Wednesday, May 23rd, 2007 AT 5:18 PM
  • Jack42

Should be in the underhood power/relay center

Wednesday, May 23rd, 2007 AT 6:34 PM