LS400 STARTER

1995 Lexus

Art Anchondo

May, 22, 2007 AT 4:58 PM

I have a 1995 Lexus LS400 with engine type 1UZ-FE and 116,000 miles. My Lexus started making a clicking sound when I tried to start it much like when the battery is dead. However, I am wondering if it is the starter because it always starts if I try a second or third time. It seems as if by re-inserting the key and turning it more forcefully it starts. When it finally starts, it starts quickly and I cannot hear any dragging in the starter.

Your help will be appreciated, since it will cost about $700 to repair with parts and labor.

Jack42

May, 22, 2007 AT 5:22 PM

Yes, I know, have had the pleasure of installing a starter in your car. Need to find the trigger (small black wire) that goes to the starter. Be sure you are getting 12 volts to it every time the key is cranked, if so then it needs a starter, if not I would suspect the starter relay

Art Anchondo

May, 23, 2007 AT 5:18 PM

How do I locate the starter relay since the owner's manual does not indicate the location for relays only for fuses.

Jack42

May, 23, 2007 AT 6:34 PM

Should be in the underhood power/relay center

Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Starter Replacement
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000