1999 Lexus LS 400 instrument panel lighting

• 1999 LEXUS LS 400

Interior problem
1999 Lexus LS 400 V8 All Wheel Drive Automatic 157000 miles

Suddenly my instrument dash backighting (tach, speedometer, etc.) Only works when the "day lights" are on---in other words when I roll the turn/light stick to turn on the headlights (either auto-offhigh beam or not) the backlight on the tach, speedometer, fuel gauge, etc. Goes black. When I turn lights off and only the safety headlights are on, the panel lights up again? When it is black, the only green lights on the panel are the symbol for "headlights on", the "D" for Drive gear, and the "Cruise"(when I put cruise cntl on) are illuminated. Rest is totally black!

Thursday, December 10th, 2009 AT 9:27 PM

Is the dimmer control turned up bright or is it on the low setting. Check that.

Also I would check all your lighting wirings and making sure they are not shorting out to ground or to power causing that feedback. Once had a vehicle with a pinched off license plate light and when the lights were on the brake lights didnt work and all the dash lights were off like on yours and even the fuel pump wouldnt turn off

Friday, December 11th, 2009 AT 6:55 PM