1994 Lexus ES 300 hesitation when accelerating

JASLIS99
  • 1994 LEXUS ES 300

Engine problem
1994 Lexus ES 300 6 cyl Wheel Drive Type unknown Automatic 136000 miles

This car has 225000 miles but engine replacement has 136000.
The car zoos a lot before it finally starts. It also has a skip, stutter, hesitation at take-off if the gas is pressed a lot at once. When the gas is pressed more it just does nothing. Then when it catches it runs smoothly. If it's driven in city it does fine but anytime you need to press for more acceleration like in traffic it takes awhile before it catches and then accelerates.
Would this be a fuel problem or more along the lines of a vacuum of some sort?
Also the check engine light came on.
Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Monday, January 28th, 2008 AT 10:56 PM

JACK42

Have it scanned, the light is the PCM's way of telling you there is a sensor or something that isnt working properly. Get back with the code/codes

-1
Tuesday, January 29th, 2008 AT 12:18 PM
JASLIS99

The check engine light is no longer on so there is no code now. Thanks

-1
Saturday, February 2nd, 2008 AT 7:32 PM
JACK42

Sounds like it could be the Mass Airflow Meter or TPS.

-1
Sunday, February 3rd, 2008 AT 8:26 AM
JASLIS99

I asked my mechanic and he says he doesn't think it is computer related because nothing shows on the scanner. Do you know of anything else that it could be that is not computer related? Thanks

-1
Friday, February 8th, 2008 AT 3:55 PM
JACK42

According to my software, that car is OBD-2, which means if the light has been on, it has stored a code. Lets by-pass your tech and go to Autozone (they scan for free), get back to me with the code/codes.

-1
Saturday, February 9th, 2008 AT 7:28 AM
JASLIS99

I have an appointment to have the car scanned Monday for 50.00. Autozone here does not scan older than a 96.
I just wanted to also update that now the car would not start when I tried it. Sounds as if it is starving for fuel. Then once it finally started it cuts right off but if you keep zooing it it will start. Sometimes it runs and sometimes it doesn't. When it does it jerks and skips a lot. Then at other times it runs smooth except when you accelerate fast.
Thanks again

-1
Sunday, February 17th, 2008 AT 9:16 AM
JACK42

The code will help figure this out

-1
Monday, February 18th, 2008 AT 7:15 AM
JASLIS99

Hi,
Well I sure hope you can help me further because when we took the car in today for the scan all they said was they could not scan a Lexus & not older than 1996 even though we told them the model & year when we made the appointment. It seems no one around here can do this.
So I just thought I would ask if you have any ideas about what the problem may be? The car seems to be starving for fuel at times but not always.
Thanks again

-1
Monday, February 18th, 2008 AT 9:27 PM
JACK42

Find a real shop with real test equipment. This is an OBD-2 car, shouldnt be that hard to get scanned. Call Lexus and see what they charge, could be too many things to guess

-1
Tuesday, February 19th, 2008 AT 6:45 AM
JASLIS99

Well I finally got the scan and all they say is that the car is running lean. I know this can mean lots of different things so I thought I would ask if you have any thoughts?
I have also been told that being that the engine has been changed out with another from a 1995 that maybe some required items were not changed over from the old engine to the new. Could you tell me what some of those items are?
Thanks again

-1
Thursday, February 21st, 2008 AT 5:52 PM