1989 RANGE ROVER WONT START ON PETROL

• range roverman
  • 1989 Rover Range Rover

1989 Range Rover V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 123600 miles

hi ya,
my range rover classic wont start on petrol what can I do it's an 1989 classic range rover efi 3.5 v8

Tuesday, May 18th, 2010 AT 6:26 AM

• mhpautos

Hi there,

Do you have good fuel pressure, have you checked the spark? Injection pulse and n check for any unresolved fault codes, post you findings here for more assistance.

Tuesday, May 18th, 2010 AT 6:35 AM
  • range roverman

Thank's for reply please can you tell me the best way to find the error code's and what sort of michine I need to use , i've checked the spark there seem to be a good one but there seem to be a low fuel pressure I wounder if it could be the fuel pump given me the problem or could it be the fuel injectors not spraying the fuel into the port's.
Many thank's p. Webb

Wednesday, May 19th, 2010 AT 7:24 AM
  • mhpautos

Hi there,

rover have made this system very hard to work on without factory tooling, including scanners, this is so they can try and keep all the work in house, you will have to find a work shop with a top quality scanner or a factory unit, as an example, my top of the range snap on scanner will not read all rover codes.

Wednesday, May 19th, 2010 AT 8:43 AM
  • range roverman

Ok thank's, do you think it worth trying a new fuel pump on it and do you know where I can find the impacked fuel pump shut of relay because i've looked under the seat's and under the bonnet and also in the back of the motor so I can re-place a new one.
Thxs p. Webb

Wednesday, May 19th, 2010 AT 8:58 AM
  • mhpautos

Fuel pumps are not cheap, get the pressure readings and post it here first, I will look up the pump specs.

Mark

Wednesday, May 19th, 2010 AT 9:20 AM
  • mhpautos

Fuel pressure should be 35-37Psi, and I think that the switch is under the L/F seat, check there.

Mark

Wednesday, May 19th, 2010 AT 9:25 AM