UNUSUAL NOISE

2001 Land Rover Discovery 2

klstohler

January, 21, 2009 AT 8:25 AM

Air Conditioning problem
2001 Land Rover Discovery 2 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

When my air conditioning or heat is on, a loud noise is also coming from the passenger dash area. The air and heat work fine, but there is a loud almost tapping sound that starts when I turn it on. It doesn't always do it (started when it was really cold), but it always stops when I turn the air/heat off. Any ideas?

ROVERTECHGOLD

March, 19, 2009 AT 1:04 PM

DO YOU ONLY HEAR THE NOISE WITH THE FAN ON AND DOES THE NOISE CHANGE PITCH WITH THE FAN SPEED?

klstohler

March, 19, 2009 AT 2:12 PM

Yes, the noise is on only when the fan is on, and, yes, it changes pictch with the fan speed (much louder when the fan is on high speed).

ROVERTECHGOLD

March, 19, 2009 AT 2:45 PM

With the information you have provided I would have to say that there are to possible causes. One, the is debris in the fan, Two, the fan motor is bad. The fan can be accessed from the passenger side of the dash. Remove the cardboard under dash panel (3 clips), unplug the motor, and remove the 3 screws holding the blower motor in, carefully lower the blower motor. At this point you can clean the debris from the fan, if there is no debris then it is likely that the bearings in the blower motor have failed.

klstohler

March, 19, 2009 AT 3:11 PM

If the bearings in the blower motor have failed, what needs to be replaced? The blower motor or a whole system?
Thanks you in advance for your response

ROVERTECHGOLD

March, 19, 2009 AT 3:18 PM

If the problem is internal bearing failure, then you need to replace the blower motor itself. Depending on where the part comes from it may or may not include the fan, but it is easier to get the blower motor assembly, which will have the fan already mounted on the motor.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Oil Change & Filter Chevrolet Equinox
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Ford Focus