GAS ODOR

2002 Kia Sportage

czech_mate55

February, 11, 2008 AT 7:44 PM

Other Category problem
2002 Kia Sportage 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 84000 miles

I smelled gas last winter and had the fuel injectors fixed. I could stilll smell gas when it was cold, but it was spring and did not worry about it. Now, when it gets cold, I can smell the gas. I had the car checked and they can not find any leaks. The odor is very strong inside the car and giving me a head ache and dizziness. What else could it be? Fuel Injectors are not leaking and I am nervous driving it with 2 small children in carseats. Mechanics told me there are no leaks and everything is fine.

cannm82

August, 5, 2008 AT 2:19 PM

Rubber return line from fuel psi regulator to metal return line is leaking when cold.

The spring clamps do not stay tight when cold and when the rubber expands when hot it seals.

Remove the upper part of the intake and replace the spring clamps with screw type clamps.

Had the same thing on both my Kia's. Theres fuel fumes in that line or the fumes are from the tank. You only notice it in winter because the heater intake is just behind there. When you speed up the draft blows the accumulation away, but the heater gets some. In the warm weather the clamp holds tighter.

It's pretty easy, take the 4 nuts that hold the plasic cover off, look to the passenger side of the engine, there are 2 tubes running along the top rail toward the front, with spring clamps. Replace them with flat hose clamps, you can get at Lowe's or home Depot for 45 cents each.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevy Silverado
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Super Duty
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes ML350
Fuel Pump Replacement
Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe 2015
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions