EMERGENCY BRAKE LIGHT STAYING ON

2004 Kia Spectra

scrapnbug

March, 4, 2009 AT 1:03 PM

2004 Kia Spectra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

At first I noticed it if I put the car in gear and then took the emergency brake off. I stopped doing that and the light went off for a while. Now it's back on. I'd say 97% of the time it's on. Every now and then it's off. Do I need to worry about this? The brake is, obvsiouly, not engaged and I don't feel any difference in the driving or steering. Don't want to pay lots of money if it's a fuse or something.

ImpalaSS

March, 4, 2009 AT 6:42 PM

Hello -

To better assist you can you tell me your model is just a Spectra, or an EX, GS, GSX, LS or LX. Also the engine size in liter and the 8th digit of your VIN.

scrapnbug

March, 11, 2009 AT 9:24 AM

My Kia is an EX (I'm pretty sure) and the 8th VIN digit is a '1' and it's a 1.6 liter.

ImpalaSS

March, 11, 2009 AT 5:42 PM

Hello -

Thanks for the info and getting back with me.

This may be a couple of things - let's start with the easiest.

Please check your brake fluid level and make sure it is at the proper level. The way your system works is if your brake fluid gets a little low, then the light will stay on. My thought is that is why it was on then off etc. So first check that.

If that isn't it then it may be the switch....here is the test for checking the switch.........

BRAKE FLUID LEVEL WARNING SWITCH

1. Remove the connector (A) from the switch located at the brake fluid reservoir.

2. Verify that continuity exists between switch terminals 1 and 2 while pressing the switch (float) down with a rod.

Fig. 20: Testing Brake Fluid Level Warning Switch Continuity
Courtesy of KIA MOTORS AMERICA, INC.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Fig_20_1.jpg

Check the fluid first and then see how it does........if the fluid is okay then do the above then let me know.

ImpalaSS

March, 11, 2009 AT 6:05 PM

Hello -

Hey, by the way, you need to check on this. It looks like you may have a recall on your vehicle. The dealer may fix this for free. Please contact the dealer service department, give them the VIN number of your car and have them check on this to see if it applies to you.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Recalls_9.jpg

Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Light Bulb Replacement
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz