2004 KIA RIO MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR

• msfisher2004
  • 2004 Kia Rio

Computer problem
2004 Kia Rio 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 128000 miles

My check engine light came on and after having Advance Auto run a test they told me it was the mass air flow sensor. I replaced the sensor and about 10 miles later the light came back on. The car always ran just fine without a noticeable problem. I took it back to Advance Auto and again they said the problem was the mass air flow sensor. The car was due for inspection, and of course, it has failed emissions with a P0113 (Intake Air Temp Circuit High Input). I suspected it might be in the electrical system but I am not able to purchase a piece of this from the dealer without purchasing an entire engine harness and Kia Rio's are difficult to find in salvage yards.

Monday, July 6th, 2009 AT 5:58 AM

• Docfixit

Hi
What was code for MAF? Same one? Will need a digital multimeter to check circuit. Locate IAT on top rear of engine in dynamic box. Will have a red and blue wire. With engine cold 68 deg remove connector measure resistence across terminals of ITA. Should read 2.27Kohms to 2.76Kohms. Next warm up engine @176 deg measure again.30 to.33 Kohms. If good measure voltage on blue wire Should be 5V. If good Ohm check red wire from connector to ground should be 1 ohm. If all tests good replace IAT.
Let me know
Thanks for donate

Monday, July 6th, 2009 AT 11:20 AM
  • msfisher2004

Okay - I did as you suggested but didn't really get past the first step. There was no reading when I measured resistance across the terminals. However, when the car was on, the blue had no reading while the red to ground reading was 10 ohm. I was also told that it might help to change the air filter and reset the codes.

Wednesday, July 8th, 2009 AT 7:02 PM
  • msfisher2004

Just to clarify my last response - I removed the wires from the IAT and measured across the terminals for resistance and found it to be open - therefore, your next step would not apply. Where do I go from here?

Thursday, July 9th, 2009 AT 10:38 AM
  • Docfixit

If it is open then it is faulty replace did you measure on Kohms scale?

Thursday, July 9th, 2009 AT 11:28 AM
  • msfisher2004

Yes - it was measured on Kohms scale.

Thursday, July 9th, 2009 AT 1:54 PM
  • Docfixit

It is open need to replace

Friday, July 10th, 2009 AT 12:03 PM