HARMONIC BALANCER POPPING LITTLE SPARKS

Kia

ILUVMYKIA

December, 21, 2006 AT 12:47 PM

There is a spark that jumps from the outside rim of the harmonic balancer (crankshaft pulley), over the damper material, to the rim of the inside (hub) of the pulley (where the bolts attach). It's a tiny spark that leaps over the little ¼” rubber damper material as the engine is running. It speeds up as the RPMs speed up. I'm going to remove it and reinstall it. I'm wondering if there was some insulating material that I missed during the exchange. I cannot afford to go to the mechanic. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I plan to make a donation.

Bruce Hunt

December, 21, 2006 AT 2:40 PM

Would be nice to know the vehicle. But, did you put on a new harmonic balancer? If so, other than the possibility that the sparks are caused by some metal touching it the only electrical item that will sometimes be behind there is the wiring for the TDC sensor and the crankshaft sensor. You need to determine if this is an electrical short or a metal to metal spark.

ILUVMYKIA

December, 21, 2006 AT 2:42 PM

Oops! Sorry, it's a 1999 Kia Sephia.

ILUVMYKIA

December, 21, 2006 AT 2:43 PM

. And yes, I did put on a brand new dealer supplied harmonic balancer.

Bruce Hunt

December, 21, 2006 AT 4:37 PM

Is it possible that in putting on the balancer you have bent something so as to enable it to rub on the balancer?

ILUVMYKIA

December, 21, 2006 AT 6:00 PM

" Is it possible that in putting on the balancer you have bent something so as to enable it to rub on the balancer?&Quot; O, I hope not. I'll see.

Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front
Step by Step Timing Belt Replacement Guide
Step by Step Timing Chain Replacement Guide
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet