SPORTAGE - WON'T START - P0560

2000 Kia

LS6750

June, 17, 2006 AT 2:37 PM

2000 kia sportage - won't start - sometimes.
First, my husband and friends have look at it(military mechanics). When it won't start, it will crank over and over. Then, 5 minutes later it will start. It throws the po560 code. Already when over all easy problems that it could be and they have been check. It was getting worse brought it to a kia dealership, they couldn't figure out what the problem is and got a GM mechanic from another city to look at and he couldn't fix it. At the moment, we are checking each wire, sensor, and relay to make sure what the problem is. My vehicle is getting very unsafety to drive. It is now stalling while driving (once in awhile). Last night started fine, but wouldn't shift out of first gear. Now, the vehicle is starting to surge.

Any ideas?

cody-ody

June, 18, 2006 AT 8:05 AM

Check the park neutral switch for correded wires and terminals also check the conectors just below the battery, they often corrode.
One other direction to go is if you have an alarm system. Disconnect it completely(remove it physically from vehicle) and go from there. Often these systems interupt current intermittently (even if they are " turned off" they still have the vehicles current passing through their circuitry to operate the vehicle. Did you find out what the code is?

LS6750

June, 18, 2006 AT 8:22 AM

Alarm - when I got the vehicle - I had the alarm taken out completed. We thought that the wire might be touched something and we check that.

Battery - we cleaned and check everything related to the battery.

Park neutral switch - check and cleaned up

none of this is the problem

LS6750

June, 18, 2006 AT 8:24 AM

The code p0560 is a general code when the computer can not select another code it goes to this.
It means sytem voltage malfuntion.

cody-ody

June, 18, 2006 AT 8:30 AM

Do a charging stsem test only after running the vevicle for a half hour or more (to make sure it is well warmed up) if nothing shows up then take a look at the underneath of the fuse box located at the driver's side of the engine compartment. They had a tendancy to corrode near the main wires and under the fuses and relays.
You may also want to check if the " main" relay in there is also put in correctly(I've found them reversed often!)
Goodluck!

LS6750

June, 19, 2006 AT 6:39 PM

My husband check all that and then when we took it to the dealership they re-check all of those items.

cody-ody

June, 19, 2006 AT 8:05 PM

Ok so all the basics were covered. Now!
I looked into your " general loss of power code 560" and it turns out that it isn't! In fact its a very specific code : its loss of power to the ECM or internal ECM failure!
In other words check all the connectors at the computer and associated grounds and if you see nothing loose or corroded then wait till the problem acts up and hit the Ecm(computer). It should be located at the floor/firewall on the passenger side of the vehicle (inside)
By the way the ECM is covered for 7 years and I forget how much mileage because of an emissions issue with the government regulations! Please note this area is VERY SENSATIVE to the slightest deviation of even one terminal or pin connector
By the way just out of curiosity what part of the country are you wrining from?(Don't have to be specific. State or province will satisfy my curiosity?
Good luck this sounds like the kind of problems Ilike to find! (Yeah I'm a weird one.)

LS6750

July, 26, 2006 AT 9:17 PM

It is the ecm. Had a hard time getting the part from the local dealership, even though it was under warranty. Called kia canada to make sure and it was. They didn't believe me that it was under warranty. Then they order the wrong ecm it, waiting for the correct to come in.

Thanks for your help.

Ontario, Canada

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang