05 SPORTAGE MUSTY SMELL WHEN AC ON

2005 Kia

starr87

August, 23, 2007 AT 3:15 PM

On my wife's '05 Sportage, there is a musty smell when you first turn on the AC after sitting for a while. Also, we will get a light fog coming out of the dash vents. It does not last very long.
Is there a possible filter that needs replaced or a place that water collects and turns musty?

mhpautos

August, 23, 2007 AT 5:27 PM

Hi there,

You can have mildew and mold build up in the ducts of the A/C?Heater system, you can get a treatment that destroyse these smells, the one that I use here in Aus is a spray that you spray into the vents, it works very well, you should be able to get somethingalong the same line where ever you are. Also water can get trapped in the system, there will be a water drain tune for the A/C system make sure that it is nit blocked, the fog is moisture on the evaporator gassing off when the temp drops quickly when the A/C is turned on, so there is some moisture trapped in the system, hence the stale smell as well.

Service Writer

August, 24, 2007 AT 6:21 PM

I agree with mhpautos and would add to check for a cabin air filter replacement.

Seat Switch Replacement GMC Yukon
Blend Door Actuator Replacement
Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911