ENGINE PERFORMANCE PROBLEM1999 KIA CLARUS 4 CYL...

1999 Kia Clarus

rajanpaul55

June, 25, 2009 AT 9:15 PM

1999 Kia Clarus 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

The pick up of the car after start is very slow. Goes very slow for quite adustance and then with slow jerks picks up good speed sometimes manipulation with the 2nd gear also helps to gain speed (pick up). Where is the problem. Gears/ engine/ spark plugs?

Also.1)does mixing of different octane of fuel make any difference.
2)there's some rattling sound from the back of the car, while on a rough patch, while not so on smooth roads, could this be related (this looks like a shock problem though)

Thanks.

Please advise.

Jacobandnickolas

June, 26, 2009 AT 1:57 PM

Mixing fuels doesn't hurt. As far as the noise, check to see if there is a heat shield on the system that is loose. It is a common problem.

As far as the power, has the check engine light come on? Also, could the ratteling you hear be coming from the inside of the catylatic converter. A plugged converter will cause a loss of power.

Let me know.

rajanpaul55

July, 15, 2009 AT 1:17 PM

Yeah the check engine light does come on

Jacobandnickolas

July, 15, 2009 AT 4:32 PM

If the check engine light has been on, there will be a trouble code stored in the computer. It needs to be scanned to identify where the problem is coming from. Most nationally recognized parts stores will do it for free.

Have that done and let me know what you find. Something tells me there is either an O2 sensor problem or catylatic converter. Also, was the rattle coming from the heat shield?

rajanpaul55

July, 15, 2009 AT 5:38 PM

Considering it is an oxygen sensor/ catalytic converter/ heat shield problem, is it safe to drive it for sometime before I take it to the dealer?
Could this in some way affect the brakes system / a few times I've felt a delay between applying brakes and the actual halt.

rajanpaul55

July, 15, 2009 AT 5:45 PM

Would the catalytic converter/ heat shield problem make the ignition switch's temperature to rise excessively? The car key is burning when it is removed ! Or this is a different set of problem?

Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Mount Replacement - RWD Cars