Key will not turn, ignition switch cannot be removed

RAPAPPJR
  • 2001 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Car was locked when girlfriend opened door. Car alarm went off. Upon returning, the key would no longer turn. The shifter wont come out of park. The wheel is not locked and wont lock. I removed all the framing from around the ignition switch and tried to remove the ignition switch to replace it. Two of three harnesses came off, but it appears the last one will not come off unless the key turns, releasing it. The key will not turn. So the ignition switch cannot be removed, and thus, cannot be replaced. I don't want to scrap my entire car just because the ignition switch is locked up. I don't know if its a security feature from the car alarm going off, and it locked it up, or if the ignition switch needs to be replaced. I asked AutoZone if I could bypass the ignition switch and they said no. Said there is really nothing I can do. That can't possibly be true. Can anyone help me please?
Sunday, June 2nd, 2019 AT 4:07 PM

KEN

This sounds like the shift cable needs to be replaced because it is not pushing the interlock completely not allowing the ignition switch to be completely off. Check out these guides to help you see what is going on. Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.
Tuesday, June 4th, 2019 AT 1:01 PM