You have to remove the clamp on the rubber boot that attached the driveshaft to the output shaft on the transfer case. Here are the directions. The pics attached correlate with the directions.
2000 GMC Truck K 1500 Truck 4WD V8-5.3L VIN T
Propeller Shaft Replacement
Vehicle Transmission and Drivetrain Drive/Propeller Shafts, Bearings and Joints Drive/Propeller Shaft Service and Repair Procedures Propeller Shaft Replacement
PROPELLER SHAFT REPLACEMENT
- J 43218 Clamp Plier
1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
2. Remove the transfer case shield. Refer to Shield Replacement.
3. Remove the clamp (4) at the transfer case (3) by prying up the exposed end of the clamp (4) with a flat bladed tool.
Important: Observe and accurately reference mark all driveline components relative to the propeller shaft and axles before disassembly. These components include the propeller shafts, the wheel drive shafts, the pinion flanges, the output shafts, etc, All components must be reassembled in the exact relationship to each other as they were when removed. In addition, published specifications and torque values, as well as any measurements made prior to disassembly must be followed.
4. Reference mark the relationship of the propeller shaft (5) to the front axle flange (1).
5. Remove the bolts (6) and the yoke retainers (7) from the front axle flange (1).
Important: Do not pound on the propeller shaft when trying to disconnect the propeller shaft.
6. Slide the propeller shaft rearward enough in order to disengage. Move the propeller shaft forward.
Important: Avoid dropping the bearing cap assemblies of the yoke end.
7. Remove the propeller shaft (5).
8. Inspect the propeller shaft (5) for any evidence of damage.
1. Verify that the splines of the transfer case are coated with sufficient grease. If not, use special Teflon grease (GM P/N 9985830). Refer to Fluid and Lubricant Recommendations.
2. Place the new clamp in the groove of the propeller shaft boot.
3. Install the propeller shaft splines into the transfer case output shaft.
4. Install the boot onto the transfer case output shaft until the boot snaps into the groove on the OD of the output shaft.
5. Crimp the clamp using the J 43218 according to the crimping specifications.
6. Install the propeller shaft (5) to the front axle flange (1).
7. Line up the reference marks made previously.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
8. Install the yoke retainers (7) and the bolts (6).
Tighten the yoke retainer bolts to 25 Nm (19 ft. Lbs.).
9. Install the transfer case shield. Refer to Shield Replacement.
10. Lower the vehicle.
Let me know if this helps.
Images (Click to make bigger)
Sunday, June 14th, 2020 AT 5:50 PM