ENGINE DIES OUT

1988 Jeep YJ

slapnasty

February, 14, 2010 AT 1:22 PM

1988 Jeep YJ 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 165000 miles

I have a 1988 Wrangler 2.5 4 cylinder, When its first cranked up it will run perfectly for aprox 2 miles then the engine dies almost to a stop but always picks back up. This goes on while at mid throttle but not when the pedal is on the mat. I replaced the fuel filter, cleaned out the fuel return line and install a fuel pressure gauge. The gauge stays at 14psi even while the engine is shutting down. What can I look for? Thanks

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

Jacobandnickolas

February, 14, 2010 AT 11:57 PM

The fuel pressure is perfect. I checked it. Have you checked for vacuum leaks and the catylatic converter. Also, has the check engine light come on?

Let me know.

slapnasty

February, 15, 2010 AT 7:57 AM

This year jeep has no check engine light or converter.

Jacobandnickolas

February, 15, 2010 AT 1:24 PM

I assure you it came with both. Is there a chance that someone has altered the vehicle? Also, did you find any vacuum leaks?

slapnasty

February, 15, 2010 AT 7:37 PM

No vacuum leak, no converter must have been taken off.

Jacobandnickolas

February, 15, 2010 AT 9:43 PM

WIthout the check engine, it becomes a guessing game. If vacuum is good and fuel pressure is good, I feel it deals with either a idle air control valve, throttle position sensor, or even the EGR. My other concern is the converter missing. The O2 sensor can't work properly without it. However, I assusme it ran good before the problem started. Have you checked the egr to see if it is carboned?

Jacobandnickolas

February, 24, 2010 AT 7:57 AM

Have you had a chance to check?