IDLE PROBLEM

1997 Jeep Wrangler

njntvr

April, 9, 2007 AT 7:25 AM

I have a 1997 Wrangler, 2.5 L, 4WD, Auto Trans with 159,000 miles. The engine will start and run if I keep on the gas, but will not idle. As soon as I let up on the gas she shuts down. No problem to restart and run, but the engine will not run at idle. Any ideas? Thanks.

Jack42

April, 9, 2007 AT 8:23 AM

First check for vacuum leaks, replace any hose that is even slightly questionable. Remove the air intake tube and be sure the injection is clean around the throttle plate. Next remove the IAC motor and clean it with some carb spray. BTW is the check engine light on?

njntvr

April, 9, 2007 AT 9:15 AM

Jack, To answer your question, no the Chk Eng Light was not on, BUT. I drove the car (no problems) last night and the light was on. The won't idle problem began this morning and the light was NOT on while I could keep the engine running. Don't know if this is related but a while ago I had a cold weather starting problem. Engine would fire on a cylinder or 2 and quit. Would do that a couple of times and then finally start and run fine. Once the engine ran, it would always restart with out difficulty until it sat overnight. Then the same problem in the morning. If I depressed the gas, the engine would start, run and idle fine. This new problem is a little different in that now I can get the engine started, but even after it runs for a while, it will not idle. It quits. Thanks for the help.

carsound2001

April, 15, 2009 AT 5:27 PM

I have had the same problem not only with jeep but other makes also sounds to me like u have a bad throttle position senser if the senser is bad they will idle high, low, or not at all and same goes for the idle air control motor hope that will help ya

Jack42

April, 17, 2009 AT 7:38 AM

If the light came on it may have stored a code. Might not be a bad idea to have it scanned to see what is stored in the PCM memory

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Clean Idle Air Control Ford Super Duty 5.4L
Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro