REPLACING REAR DRIVE SHAFT AND TRANNY YO

1993 Jeep Wrangler

mancave1956

November, 17, 2009 AT 4:18 PM

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1993 Jeep Wrangler 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

Hey

Looking to purchase a Jeep with plow. (Have not see vehicle yet. Is some distance away)
Owner says he blew U joint, which caused rear drive shaft and tranny yoke to break.
Before I drive down to view:
How difficult is it to change out these parts? (I'm a pretty competent DIY)
Does yoke just slip out of tranny?
Is there any other damage I should look for that might have been caused when the u joint busted?

Thanks!
Brad Chute

racefan966

November, 18, 2009 AT 10:19 AM

Not all yokes are slip in yokes. There are bolt on yokes too. Now as for how hard to change depends on what all happened when the u-joint broke. Now if I was having to go some distance to look at this I would ask if the owner could send a pic of the driveline and the yoke post the pic and I will look at it to see what I think from the pics. Now keep in mind any vehicle with a plow will have problems as a plow is very hard an the drivetrain this includes u-joints both front and rear drivelines, front and rear diff's as well as front end parts and front axle u-joints. So what I am saying is that the rear driveline may not be only problem you may find so look it over extremely good.

Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Replace Drive Shaft U-Joint Like a Pro
Wheel Stud Replacement Chevrolet Cavalier