1988 JEEP WRANGLER SPUTTER AND HESITATION

• rdupuis
  • 1988 Jeep Wrangler

1988 Jeep Wrangler 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 145000 miles

Hey guys,

My '88 Jeep Wrangler YJ has idling problems. It struggles when you stop at a red light or when you first start it up. It's like it wants to stall, and sometimes it does. It doesn't do it all the time though, but it does it often enough for me to not want to drive it.

Also, mostly when I'm driving through the city, I'll step on the gas to accellerate and it will hesitate and sputter before it gets going. I'll have to pop it into neutral and hit the gas to get the rpm's up.

I'm assuming the 2 problems are related, but I don't know for sure. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Monday, October 13th, 2008 AT 12:20 PM

• metalhead1978

Have you replaced the fuel filter it could be clogged and not letting enough fuel, fuel inj or carb

Monday, October 13th, 2008 AT 8:03 PM
  • rdupuis

Yep, I've replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the fuel injector, and checked all the spark plugs. I don't know.

Monday, October 13th, 2008 AT 11:09 PM