HELP ... WONT START - HAS VIPER ALARM- NEW BATTERY

1997 Jeep

kah

February, 12, 2007 AT 3:19 AM

Hi,
we just got a used 1997 Jeep - having some battery probs. Then it just died. So we replaced the battery today. BUT did not know anything about the Viper alarm system. Now its dead. Wont turn over at all. Have power though, lites work. Etc. Could the alarm have turned off the car? How do we reset it? Or override it? We are stranded! Please help.
Kah

carundell

February, 12, 2007 AT 3:35 AM

Hey Kah,
Should I assume you do not have a remote for the alarm system? If so, there is usually a small " valet switch" mounted somewhere underdash or on a kick panel. This may or may not work as all aftermarket alarms are different. The only other alternative would be to remove the alarm system and restore the wiring back to original. Not to terribly hard, bu tI don't recommend unless you have some basic wiring knowledge. Let me know and I can send along a wiring diagram to assist you!

Chris

kah

February, 12, 2007 AT 3:47 AM

OMG. Thanks Chris for answering so fast! We do have 2 controlls. One from Jeep and the viper. I dont understand whats going on at all. Tried to open the doors with the key to reset. But nothing! My poor husband has been working on this for 2 days now in the chicago cold.

kah

February, 12, 2007 AT 3:49 AM

My husband just came in and said he found the switch - and now the lite on the dash is on. But there is also another switch - says on/off. It has always been in the on position?

carundell

February, 12, 2007 AT 3:54 AM

Hey!
And arming/disarming w/ the remote will still not allow the vehicle to restart?

Chris

kah

February, 12, 2007 AT 3:57 AM

NO. Its dead. Like no power at all. The fan turned a we bit. But nothing.

kah

February, 12, 2007 AT 3:59 AM

When we replaced the battery. It sat without one in it for overnight till we were able to get one. Then today we read that the viper should of been set to disengage it prior. That it has a short term memorie? So we were thinking the viper has turned off the car?

carundell

February, 12, 2007 AT 4:01 AM

? As in the battery is dead/very little juice? I noticed you replaced the battery, are you certain its fully charged?

kah

February, 12, 2007 AT 4:02 AM

My family has had some real hard time over the past few years. Husband sick, and I lost my job. Our truck was not working. So our landlord gave us this Jeep! Said to pay her later so I could find work. She didnt tell us anything about it, just it would not start. So we jumped it and got it home. It ran for a week or so. Few jumps inbetween. But its really cold here and its outside. She never even told us of the alarm system, nor how to work it?

kah

February, 12, 2007 AT 4:03 AM

Yes. Its a new one. And we jumped the old truck from it.

carundell

February, 12, 2007 AT 4:08 AM

Ok. This is frustrating for me cause I really want to help! Am going to pm you my business ph #, call me so we can get some clarification/more info. Or send me your #/cell# and we'll do this on my dime!

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe