ENGINE IDLES ROUGH, JUST REPLACED OXYGEN SENSOR

Jeep

_Stingray_

July, 29, 2006 AT 9:19 AM

1988 Jeep pioneer. When I bought this vehicle it had no spark. I replaced the pickup coil, & the ignition coil, got spark and started vehicle. It idled ruff. I decided to replace the cap, rotor and wires. Still idles ruff. When I give a little throttle it seems to choke itself and wants to stall. Slight backfire. Any info you can give relating this proble is gratefully appreciated.

OK I just replaced the oxygen sensor and it still idles ruff. Whats next.

demearsjr

July, 30, 2006 AT 10:36 PM

How long has the fuel been sitting in the vehicle when you bought it?

_Stingray_

July, 31, 2006 AT 3:32 PM

As far as I know it last ran in December of last year. There isn't very much fuel in the tank because the fuel light is on.

demearsjr

July, 31, 2006 AT 10:36 PM

Didn't say if it was backfiring through the exhaust or the carb.
Did you move the distributor while you were changing the pick up coil?

_Stingray_

August, 1, 2006 AT 12:56 PM

I removed the distributor off the engine and installed the pickup coil on the bench, and I reinstalled the distribuitor so that rotor is just before the #1 position.

_Stingray_

August, 1, 2006 AT 4:45 PM

Well, now it idled so rough it stalled itself and now I can't get it started. Theres still plenty of spark. I do believe there's a major vacuum leak which I cant seem to locate. Now I have to try to get it started again.

Mikeybdman

August, 1, 2006 AT 5:45 PM

You have some spark now, I would look at the fuel. Put some good gas in it, and maybe a little additive to remove water. Check the fuel pump to make sure it is supplying good pressure.
Things do tend to break when they sit for too long.

Oxygen Sensor Replacement Honda Civic 1996-20
Oxygen Sensor Replacement Dodge Stratus
Fail Your Smog Test? Fix it Fast