1999 Other Jeep Models Gear Whine

USMC LAWLER
  • 1999 JEEP

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1999 Other Jeep Models V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 97800 miles

I bought a '99 WJ last year and have been dealing with it ever since. I went mudding and got a nasty gear whine. I've had the front end ring and pinion replaced, front boots replaced, transfer case replaced, and the rear differential's been deemed okay. I fill the gearboxes with the correct fluid personally (I've been doing preventative maintenance for a while; just don't have time to do major repairs myself), and still I get a nasty gear whine constantly along with grinding upon acceleration. When I coast, the noise is the worst, and when I get on the throttle lightly, it lets up, but doesn't disappear. On top of that, quick punches on the throttle create serious grinding/play in the gas pedal. Any ideas?

Saturday, May 9th, 2009 AT 6:11 PM

JACK42

Honestly sounds like the ony thing left is the rear diff, even if deemed ok, it is the only thing driving the Jeep when not in 4wd. Does the trans shift properly?

Monday, May 11th, 2009 AT 7:50 AM
USMC LAWLER

The transmission shifts fine, and the vehicle's full-time 4WD (Quadratrac II), so all gearboxes are up for question.

Monday, May 11th, 2009 AT 9:05 PM
JACK42

Is there any way to remove the driveshafts one at a time to see if the noise goes away? This may at least isolate one end or the other. This could even be the planetary gear set in the trans coming apart

Monday, May 11th, 2009 AT 9:46 PM