BRAKE LIGHTS

1999 Jeep Laredo

BGB1963

July, 10, 2010 AT 12:51 PM

1999 Jeep Laredo 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 161000 miles

my brake light drive side works but dim, when I turn on main lights running lights work, but when I apply the brakes the brake light goes out, flasher lights & back up lights work. I have replace light bulbs and light bulb sockets with no results

Docfixit

July, 10, 2010 AT 1:43 PM

Hi
Is high mount brake light also dim?
Let me know
Thanks for donate

BGB1963

July, 10, 2010 AT 3:05 PM

Dim, when brakes applied with main lights off, (drivers side), with main running lights on, when brakes applied driver side light goes off (just the brake light) marker light stay on, Passenger side Brake lights ok

Docfixit

July, 10, 2010 AT 4:19 PM

Need to know if Third ie. High mount brake is dim also

BGB1963

July, 10, 2010 AT 4:24 PM

I don't know what this is, but the light looks dim. I have seen a couple of the same problems on here but no one got answers.

Docfixit

July, 11, 2010 AT 1:32 PM

Check ground connection under drives seat. Clean and tighten

BGB1963

July, 11, 2010 AT 3:37 PM

First, I want to say thank you for the info, you saved me money and aggravation. Second it took mea little while to figure out what contact I was looking for. So I would like to provide a little more detail to make it easier for others in the future.
This is the corrective method for your brake lights not working when your headlights are on(2000 Jeep Cherokee Larado).
1) The cause of the problem is heat from the bulb.
2) Remove the light assembly as if you were going to change a bulb.
3) Turn the socket and remove it from the taillight assembly and set it aside(check to be sure your bulb is not burnt out).
4) Look at the opening, you will see 3 flat chrome colored contacts on the assembly.
5) Notice the one by it self at the top of the opening, that is the "ground" .
6) If you look closely you will notice the plastic around the ground contact has shrunk a little bit, this caused the contact to pull away from the socket, causing the problem.
7) With a small flat head screwdriver, VERY GENTLY pry up the contact so it stays slightly upward by itself.
8) Re-insert the bulb assembly back into the housing and press your brake petal with your lights on.
9) You should be in good to go!
10) Tools: Phillips head screwdriver and a small flat head screwdriver.
11) Time : 5 minutes per light

Docfixit

July, 12, 2010 AT 1:55 PM

Thanks for info thought it was ground fault but your first post said you replaced sockets so I ruled taht out and went for common ground. The steps you laid out are great and will pass on.

BGB1963

July, 12, 2010 AT 5:40 PM

You are very welcome, I have seen that this is a big problem with the laredo series. But this does work, and I felt really stupid after some research on this and tried it lol

2CarPros Linsey

July, 16, 2010 AT 1:12 PM

Thank you for using 2CarPros. Com. We appreciate your donation and look forward to helping you in the future.

Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz
Brake Light Bulb Replacement
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Subaru Legacy