1985 Jeep CJ7 ignition switch

38FLATHEAD
  • 1985 JEEP CJ7
Howdo you remove ingition switch from steering colum when switch won't turn all the way off
Thursday, September 30th, 2010 AT 3:40 PM

DAVE H
Hello .. thanks for the donation.. much appreciated

You should not need to have the switch back to the off posistion to remove switch from column

IGNITION SWITCH

Removal
Lower column and remove switch mounting screws. Disconnect harness connector. Remove switch.
Installation
Move switch slider to "ACC" position. Move switch slider back 2 clicks to "OFF-UNLOCK" position. Insert remote rod in switch slider, and position switch on column. Do not move slider. Install and tighten screws.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_jeep_4.jpg

LOCK CYLINDER
Fig. 1: Typical Column Type Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder Removal On most vehicles, push in to release lock retainer.
Removal
Turn lock cylinder clockwise 2 detent positions beyond "OFF-LOCK" position. Compress lock cylinder retaining tab using a thin bladed screwdriver and remove lock cylinder.
Installation
Insert key in lock. Hold cylinder sleeve, and turn key clockwise until key stops. Insert cylinder lock into bore with cylinder tab aligned with keyway in housing. Push cylinder in until it bottoms. Rotate cylinder counterclockwise to engage lock sector, and push in until cylinder tab engages in housing groove.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_jeep_5.jpg

Thursday, September 30th, 2010 AT 8:48 PM
See my profile, Dave H has given you the correct procedure ( I really think you are referring to the LOCK CYLINDER)

I know you CANNOT DEPRESS THE TAB, TILL THE KEY IS IN THE CORRECT POSITION. Been there several times myself!

Are you into the Column, inside/ under the steering wheel?

Do not go crazy and beat the crap out of stuff!

Do you have the correct key in the column?

Generously OIL the Key hole.

Try it with your fingers 1st!

Insure you are Depressing the Lever to turn the key (the Birdie Finger Lever!)

Turn your steering wheel/ Steering wheel shaft both directions while trying

Tilt your column (if equipped) Different positions and try

Try Channel Lock pliers, GENTLY. Too much force and the OUTER RING will come off of the Keyhole part!

LAST RESORT--Screw in a Slide hammer into the INNER KEYHOLE, Yank out the Center

Then dig in the bottom of the Part thats left inside, till you can depress the TAB (SEE DAVE H's Diagram)

We're here for you.

How about some good news?

Your Turn

The Medic
+1
Thursday, September 30th, 2010 AT 10:21 PM