When you spell "Jeep" Always use a CAPITAL "J"---otherwise it looks as if "He" is not important to you!
"HE" is a pronoun expressing "STRONG"---"MANLY" TraitsNever name your Jeep a "Sissy Name" like Chevy and Dodge owners do !
THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT STUFF DOES---READINGS ON A VOLTMETER AND WHEN!
HOW YOURS SHOULD BE IDENTICALLY BE HOOKED UP! ! !
Special Attention to all Mechanical Electrical Joints!
Let me know if it helped you.
If the "CRAP" on down doesn't help, It could be the "cable" to the starter (clean/tighten) or the solenoid itself----even the starter......Try this stuff below 1st!!!
TAKE STUFF LOOSECLEANTIGHTEN WELLDO NOT JUST PASS IT OFF AS, "IT LOOKS GOOD".
Do not leave off where the Battery cables connect to the Battery clamps! (not the posts) Do them too!
While you are at it, Both ends of Pos cable, Both ends of NEG cable.
If you still have the problem, you're probably looking at $20 to replace the SOLENOID. Follow Battery Positive cable to find it.
My stuff may be OVERKILL, but at least you will know what everything IS and DOES.
Like my newly made "NELSOMATIC" stuff? I am cyber stupid, and did that! Keeps me from hunt and pecking so much!
Please Reply, Good or Bad.
Follow POS BATT CABLE, It will end up here, at the SOLENOID, looks vary, function is the same.
"FORD TYPE" SOLENOID SYSTEM, YOUR ACCES., MAY VARY
1) POSITIVE CABLE FROM BATTERY
2) OUT TO STARTER MOTOR
3) ON MY JEEP, THIS GOES TO THE ALTERNATOR
4) THIS FEEDS MY FUSEBOX (ALL OF MY ACCESSORIES)
5) "S" WIRE IS FROM KEY, 12V ONLY WHILE YOU ARE "CRANKING"
THIS WIRE ACTIVATES THE SOLENOID'S ELECTROMAGNET, WHICH IN TURN, CONNECTS---A & B INTERNALLY (ONLY THE 2 LARGE GAUGE CABLES CAN HANDLE THE AMPERAGE THE STARTER "PULLS").
WHEN THE SOLENOID IS ACTIVATED, IT THROWS 12V TO STARTER USING THE LARGE GAUGE CABLES (1) POS FROM BATT--THRU SOLENOID INTERNAL CONNECTION--(2) TO THE STARTER, WHILE KEY IS IN "CRANKING" MODE.
THIS IS THE TOTAL REASON FOR A SOLENOID, BECAUSE IT WOULD NOT BE PRACTICAL, TO RUN THE HEAVY CABLES TO AND FROM YOUR KEY SWITCH.
6) "I" WIRE (OPTIONAL), FEEDS COIL "FULL 12V", ONLY WHILE "CRANKING", AFTER YOU RELEASE THE KEY, THE COIL REVERTS BACK TO REDUCED VOLTAGE (via resistance wire), SUPPLIED BY YOUR KEY IN THE "RUN" POSITION. This resistance wire, IS A RESISTOR!....Your COIL should be one stating: "FOR EXTERNAL RESISTOR ONLY"
7) "MOUNT" GROUND, UNIT MUST HAVE A GOOD GROUND (BATT. TO ENGINE, ENGINE TO FRAME, FRAME TO BODY [ALL MUST CONNECT, SOMEHOW] )
(3 & 4, ON MY JEEP) ARE FUSABLE LINKS, ALL ARE NOT MARKED, MY #3 IS, #4 IS NOT....ITS SORT OF A "WIRE" FUSE.
IF THEY ARE GOOD, TUGGING ON THEM WILL BE JUST LIKE A WIRE, WHEN THEY ARE "BURNED UP", THEY WILL STRETCH OUT LIKE A RUBBER BAND.
Monday, June 7th, 2010 AT 11:06 PM