1979 Jeep CJ7 Ignition problem

• 1979 JEEP CJ7

1979 Jeep CJ7 V8 Four Wheel Drive Manual

When I turn the ignition tumbler all the way on, nothing happens. But if I hold it in the full-on position for a couple seconds, there will be a faint whine that quickly gets louder, then all of a sudden it will "catch" and the engine will turn over. Found and fixed a loose wire at the ignition coil, but that didn't fix the problem. Do you think this is the ignition switch, or something further along the ignition chain, such as the coil, ignition box, starter solenoid, or wiring? Happens about every other time I go to start the vehicle, and occurs whether the vehicle is hot or cold.

Saturday, May 23rd, 2009 AT 8:47 PM

Sounds like the ignition switch (electrical) may be failing. It is located on top of the steering column about 2/3 of theway down from the steering wheeel. It is usually easiest to lower the column to access it. It is held on with 2 small screws (5/16 I believe). First look to see if the screws are loose and it has slid out of adjustment, If ok I would probably replace it as it sounds like it has a bad connection internally

Sunday, May 24th, 2009 AT 7:57 AM