WATER DAMAGE

2004 Jeep Cherokee

Miguel E

March, 25, 2010 AT 8:52 AM

2004 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

This jeep sank in water up to door level, while sunk the owner tried to crank it and damage the engine. I have found a replacement engine, but I am not sure if that is the only problem the car might have. Before I put time and energy into this project I would like to know what else I can expect to be damage so I can access if it is actually worth fixing this vehicle. How can I check if the computer is ok? Do I have to worry about the transmission other than changing the fluid? The car has been parked for about two years so I am not sure if that makes a difference. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you

obxautomedic

March, 25, 2010 AT 2:14 PM

Hi Miguel,

Well, since it has been sitting for 2 years. It may not be worth the effort.

You say it was sunk up to door level, what level of the door the bottom, mid etc.

As far as the computer it will depend on the location of it. I don't remember if it is located behind passenger kick panel or in the engine compartment.

Now, if you are going to concider the project.

Here is what I would check out.

The interior carpet for mold.

The under carrage for rust.

All rubber bushings, ball joint, tie rod end, u-joints, cv axles, wheel bearings, brakes.

The tranny may be ok as long as no water got into it. If water got into it and has sat for 2 years then most likely there has been parts inside that have been damaged by the water.

Hope this will help. Honestly, I wouldn't mess with it and that is only because it has set for 2 years.

.

Oil Change & Filter Replacement Acura TL
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Oil and Filter Replacement Subaru Legacy
Air Filter Replacement
Air Filter Replacement Saturn LS1
Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement