2004 Jeep Cherokee Spark Plugs keep going bad

2004 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

I have a 2004 jeep Cherokee with about 85k miles on it. I did a tune up on it a few months back, replaced the normal spark plugs pvc valve, air filter, fuel filter and so on. Everything was great for about 2k miles (about 2 months). I was on the free way driving from San Diego to Tucson az and was about 4 hours into the trip, when the check engine light came on, the car started running rough and maintaining 65mph was no longer an option. The light started flashing so I pulled over. I waited a few mins and started driving again. Everything was good until I hit 40mph. Once above 40 the car would start shaking and would run rough, like it was miss-firing. I stopped and had the jeep towed to a shop, where they looked at it, pulled the codes and said it had a random multiple miss-fire. They pulled the plugs and said a couple of them were fowled. They went ahead and replaced all the plugs again. Everything has been fine until today ( a month after they replaced the plugs). The car is having the same symptoms, (running very rough, hard to maintain above 40mph and the check engine light is flashing). I had the work done in Tucson so I cant drive it back there since I live in San Diego. So I am wondering what is causing the spark plugs to keep going bad, (im assuming its the same problem, since the symptoms are the exact same). I am unable to pull the plugs and look at them right now wsince im not with the car. Thanks for your help

Sunday, April 18th, 2010 AT 12:37 PM

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

We do need to be able to inspect the condition of the spark plug as what we see will give us a good indication as to where the problem may lie, but first thoughts are that you either have a faulty injector and the plug is becoming fuel fouled, a low compression problem or a ignition issue, I would have these items inspected first.

Sunday, April 18th, 2010 AT 6:39 PM