2003 JEEP CHEROKEE SLOW TO START...

• McD3
  • 2003 Jeep Cherokee

2003 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

My 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee takes a long time to start. It must crank several times before it fires up. And when it does it runs extremely rought until I goose the gas pedal. It has never done this before. I recently had the throttle position sensor changed. I'm concerned I'm going to kill the starter with all the cranking.

Saturday, June 26th, 2010 AT 11:15 PM

• mhpautos

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

Run a scan to check for any unresolved fault codes, also check static fuel pressure, I feel that the rail pressure is low and when it starts it is starving for fuel, you may have a faulty pressure regulator or a fuel pump that is back draining.

Sunday, June 27th, 2010 AT 9:27 AM
  • McD3

Last night switched key on and off 5 times and the car started fine. It hadn't run all day. I have no test guages or instrumentation to check codes. No " chk engine" light btw. I'm going to change out the fuel filter/regulator today. Any special trick to taking off the fuel lines from this sucker? One pops off easily but the others have a shiny chrome cap that doesn't look like it will come off easily.

Sunday, June 27th, 2010 AT 2:52 PM
  • mhpautos

Not a jeep tech, just been working the theory on your problem, I will see what I can see about this connection, more than likely there is some special release tool required, don't force it as if it breaks it will probably be a months wages to replace.

Sunday, June 27th, 2010 AT 8:28 PM
  • McD3

Forgot to thank you Mark for your help.

So today neighbor helped me change out the fuel filter/regulator. Still having start issues but will see if once the computer settles down after the power off (batt disconnect) the starting issue clears up.

Thanks for your advice. My DIY days go back to putting headers and a Holly on a 73 Mustang. Boy have times changed.

Tom McD

Sunday, June 27th, 2010 AT 11:59 PM
  • mhpautos

You most welcome, yes, times have change, I go back some 35 year in the industry, so I can relate to what you say.

Mark

Monday, June 28th, 2010 AT 12:54 AM