2002 JEEP CHEROKEE AC BLOWER MOTOR?

• Maggotus
  • 2002 Jeep Cherokee

Air Conditioning problem
2002 Jeep Cherokee V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 93000 miles

The AC blower doesn't consistently blow. I'll clarify.

When it wants to, it works great, I can adjust the temperature settings, the intensity of the blower, etc. But most (not all) of the time it doesn't even try to blow. It's not as if the blower is on, and being blocked, it's just not blowing.

I have my dash pulled apart already because i'm replacing the blend and recirculation doors that have broken. I mentioned it to the mechanic to evacuated my refrigerant for me, and he thought it was being blocked by the broken blend doors, but that doesn't seem possible to me as when it decides to turn off, it sounds like somebody turned the dial to the off position, as opposed to blowing and being blocked.

Tuesday, September 7th, 2010 AT 5:59 PM

• BMRFIXIT

Have them take another look at the blower motor it self or blower motor speed resister
as if its the blend door that should have no effect on the blower motor but the direction of the air that blows
most common is the resister

Wednesday, September 8th, 2010 AT 5:58 AM
  • Maggotus

OK, I'll post again as soon as I know more. Thanks for the quick reply.

Wednesday, September 8th, 2010 AT 4:58 PM
  • BMRFIXIT

Take your time and let me know good luck

Wednesday, September 8th, 2010 AT 5:35 PM
  • Maggotus

I didnt make it into a mechanic.
Sure enough, when we checked that connector out, it was completely melted into the box. We removed the casing, and one of the posts has a serious wiggle and burn marks on the circuit board. I'm fairly sure this is the problem as when the post wiggles to the left, the blower works, and in to the right it does not. I'm going to attempt to repair or replace the part - and if it works I think we can close this thread up.

Friday, September 10th, 2010 AT 9:46 AM
  • BMRFIXIT

Sure
its the blower motor speed resister
and connector both should be replaced
thank you for the update

Friday, September 10th, 2010 AT 12:36 PM
  • Maggotus

That did the trick. I swapped out the wiring connections as well as the blower motor controller, and it solved the problem.

The factory that makes these parts and the decisions surrounding them are genius. The blend doors which were both plastic, are now one plastic and one metal. I suspect the plastic door will break in a few years. The recirc door which broke for the same reason as the blend doors, was replaced by the exact same plastic part. And the wiring harness which connects the new blower motor controller to the blower had the wires crossed incorrectly. I had to cut them, splice them properly, then it worked.

You'd think when they discover these things, they could just call the factory and have them make a change in the way they're putting the vehicles together as i'm told the new models have the exact same 'known' problems.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Monday, September 13th, 2010 AT 12:47 PM
  • BMRFIXIT

Thankyou
Well done and said
it should be considered under safety and it should be recalled

good luck happy driving

Monday, September 13th, 2010 AT 1:55 PM