ABS AND BRAKE LIGHT COMES ON

2001 Jeep Cherokee

stkissner09

March, 4, 2009 AT 10:56 AM

2001 Jeep Cherokee 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 153000 miles

My abs and brake light came on the other night then the odmeter started to flicker. I drove the jeep home shut the engine off. Tried to start the jeep a few minutes later and there was no power what so ever. The head lights did not work, nothing electrical worked. The next day I jumped the car and it started right away. What could be the problem? Or where should I start to look at?

vladgeiser

March, 4, 2009 AT 11:15 AM

The first place is the easiest, the battery, though it sounds like you may have a larger electrical problem, check the battery or bring it into a parts store for a free charge and check on it. Next thing to check is your alternator to see if it charging the battery.

The ABS and brake light may or may not be related to the starting problem. Typically when your ABS light comes on it means something has happened in the brake system to turn off the ABS computer, a bad sensor, bad readings from one or more wheels, pressure leaks or something like that, it is typically localized to the brake system so don't get caught trying to connect the two unless you absolutely have to.

Replace Rear Brake Pad-Rotor Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad/rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement