ABS LIGHT ON, MOTOR ON ABS SYSTEM RUN AFTER KEY OFF

1996 Jeep Cherokee

tylarinyosemite

October, 31, 2008 AT 11:12 AM

Brakes problem
1996 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

The small "booster" motor on the ABS system continues to run even after the engine is off. It ran all night last night and drained my battery. In my repair manual it says to check the fuses, and get the trouble code read. My problem is now that the battery is dead I am stuck with having it towed somewhere and I am afraid that once I get it to a shop I will be stuck there and have to pay for whatever repairs they want to impose upon me. I would like to get an idea of what the problem could be before walking into a shop. Thank you to whomever takes the time to help my with the problem.

merlin2021

October, 31, 2008 AT 12:01 PM

This is a common GM problem, the ABS motor/valve needs replacing. There is a relay inside the unit which goes bad, sometimes you can find rebuilt units which have the relay changed out.

tylarinyosemite

October, 31, 2008 AT 2:12 PM

OMG you are so right, I found a rebuilt unit and replaced it bam! All fixed, thanks 2Carpros. Com!

ABS Computer Replacement
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet