2000 Jeep Cherokee full radiator no heat excess oil pressur

JIMHARVARD
  • 2000 JEEP CHEROKEE
No existing mechanincal problems other than addition of about two pints of cooling fluid monthly. Engine overheated on a local errand. Went home, filled radiator and ran to warm up - still no heat from heater. Oil pressure spiked to 80psi. Checked oil could not see any "bubbles" or water in oil. Oil level drops to correct level when engine is off. No smoke out of exhaust. Purchased new and changed oil every 5-6k miles.
any suggestions?
thanks
jim coster, pittsburgh, pa
Monday, December 22nd, 2008 AT 11:02 AM

RACEFAN966
Ok I would check to see why it using coolant. I would call around and find a shop that can do a chemical test on the radiator to see if it has a blown head gasket this will answer this with no guess work. Now as for the heater these systems are very hard to get full or burp the bubbles out so you may need more coolant you will have to check if all this checks out then get back to me and we will dig deeper into the heater system to see if the heater control valve may be bad. Thanks and Merry Christmas.
Monday, December 22nd, 2008 AT 7:05 PM
JIMHARVARD
Hi, thanks for your reply and merry xmas to you also!
Had jiffy lube change oil and no decernable water was found. Heater is now putting out heat but oil pressure is still pegged at 80psi. I will try the coolant head gasket test. Will continue going down your list of possibles: next is new rad cap then a new oil pressure sending unit sensor then new oil pump or oil pressure relief value then new water pump. Will keep you posted when problem is solved for benefit of other jeep owners.
Great site. Thanks for actually replying. I'm always scepticle about sending money to internet sites.
Jim coster
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008 AT 10:16 AM
RACEFAN966
Ok I would first replace the oil pressure sending unit so see if that fixes the oil pressure issue as it usually not to expensive. As for the water I take it that it the radiator was very low? If it was then do the chemical test to rule out the head gasket leak. Otherwise it sounds like you are on the right track. Thanks again.
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008 AT 9:30 PM
LONGDAYAHEAD
I also own a 2000 jeep cherokee from new and can tell you that after 80,000 mi. You will need to replace the hoses and thermostat and do a complete flush of the system. This will prevent you from having a break-down around 102,000 mi. Like I did.

Chances are that if you are losing coolant, you have a bad hose somewhere. I live in the mcKee's Rocks area and I use a repair shop called C&D Auto Service located right on Chartiers Ave. Across from Pat Catans.
412-331-3774

They have been reasonable and fast. Oh and before you spend good $ on sensors and such, try disconnecting the battery for awhile (15 min.) And then reconnect it. That should solve the problem with the oil pressure gauge.

Unless you like spending money on your Jeep.
Wednesday, December 24th, 2008 AT 9:00 PM