1999 Jeep Cherokee Transmission overdrive

GLEN LARSON
  • 1999 JEEP CHEROKEE
  • AWD
A few days ago the transmission overdrive suddenly jumped out and into the next lower drive range. It does'nt matter if I shift into OD using the shift button after I start driving or if I have the OD shift button already ingaged when I start out. This problem started with no warning signs. The previous day everything shifted normally. I am competent in a wide area of mechanical repairs, but know very little about automatic transmissions. Your help will be greatly appreceated. Thank you.
Friday, September 11th, 2009 AT 2:13 PM

PEAR69
If the tranny suddenly started to do this --and-- if you study your question, I think you may have found the problem without knowing it. It sounds like you have a O/D "shift button" problem. Check for loose electrical connections, especially on the transmission. If there are no loose connections then closely inspect the shift button circuit and/or the connection to it.
Saturday, September 12th, 2009 AT 3:01 AM