OIL PRESSURE

1996 Jeep Cherokee

rtitteri

October, 13, 2010 AT 10:28 PM

1996 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 116, 00 miles

Upon start the oil pressure gauge hesitates for a second, then reads about 40psi. Once running, the gauge flickers or bounces, and begins to drop. After a few minutes of driving between 20-40psi the gauge continues to flicker and drop, and drop significantly at idle (such as at a stop light). After several minutes of driving or stop/go traffic the gauge drops to 10-20 psi while on the throttle, and reads 0 at idle. If at idle and you tap the throttle, the gauge will jump and read 10-20 psi, then return to 0.

Dip stick reading is just below " safe" level, running 10W30, and there are just a few drops of oil on the pavement where I park.

October, 14, 2010 AT 12:02 AM

If it were mine I would start out with a Mechanical Pressure Gauge to get a real accurate Pressure Test on the engine........not thru the electric way, like yours does now.

If I were NOT hearing Clatter and unusual noises from the engine

And did not have a guage to test with....................

I might invest about $20 for a sender......just to see if it were bad and causing the problem.

I did a little homework for you:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Performance/Gauge-Sender/_/N-269r?filterByKeyWord=oil+pressure+sender+&fromString=search

I hope it helps!

The Medic

Oil Change and Filter Dodge Nitro
Engine Oil Change and Filter Acura TSX
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Camaro
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Ford Escape
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes ML350
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevy Silverado
Oil Change and Oil Filter Replacement VW
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Bronco