STALLS AND WONT START

1995 Jeep Cherokee

lowridertk84

July, 16, 2010 AT 8:10 AM

1995 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

At first the jeep was running rough so I was reading a few forums saying it might been the fuel injectors so I bought 6 upgraded injectors ( 4 holes vs stock single) and still ran rough so I checked the spark plug wires and 2 of them were bad so I replaced them as a set with accell 8 mm wires. Started up and ran great like it should. Well drove it to work all systems were fine untill I started home. A o ring busted and I fixed that. Got down the road and stalled on me. Would start so I sat for a few mins and it started up. Go little farther and stalled on me again and this time wouldn't start back up. Checked the spark plugs and they were not fould up. Had it towed home and the next day I tried starting it and it did roard the engine through the rpms and stalled twice but started up. Shut the car down did a few things and came back tried it again and would not start. It stalls like your turning off the key. Fuel is more than half a tank. Iv also replaced the fuel filter. And I'm getting pressure at the fuel rail.I'm just stumped on what's causing this

caradiodoc

July, 17, 2010 AT 10:39 AM

Hi lowridertk84. Welcome to the forum. Grab a test light and go to one of the small wires on the back of the alternator with the probe. (Clip on the wire should be attached to the engine or to the battery negative cable. While holding the probe on the alternator wire, or on the ignition coil positive wire, (but I'm not sure of the color), have a helper turn the ignition switch to " run". The test light should light up for one second, then turn off. That's where your fuel pressure is coming from. The pump will run for that one second.

After the light goes off, have your helper crank the engine. Your test light should turn back on anytime the engine is rotating. If it does not, suspect the crankshaft position sensor. If it does, you must determine if you're missing spark or fuel.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test