SWITCHING TO 4 WHEEL DRIVE DOES NOT WORK

1993 Jeep Cherokee

whoismrex

December, 9, 2009 AT 1:32 PM

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1993 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 175000 miles

i have a part time 4 wheel drive '93 jeep cherokee sport. When I pull the lever to shift into all wheel drive, it grinds and lurches if I accelerate at all. It's winter and I would love to be able to use my 4 wheel drive. What is the problem and how can I fix it, and how much does the solution usually cost?

chulegaard@hotmail.com

December, 9, 2009 AT 4:40 PM

Don't get me wrong here you might be doing this right but if you are trying to get in 4 LO it must be in neutral or it will grind until it's locked in.

racefan966

December, 11, 2009 AT 11:05 AM

Tell me does this have the select trac or quadra trac system? If you don't know just tell me what it say's inside like does it say part time, full time low and 2wd or? Get back to me so I can try to help.

whoismrex

December, 11, 2009 AT 11:17 AM

It has a lever next to the gear shifter. It goes 2H, 4H, N, 4L. The rest of the time it stays in 2H, and when I switch it to 4H a bad grinding sound comes from the front axle area when I start to accelerate.

racefan966

December, 12, 2009 AT 8:55 AM

Ok what need to be done now is check the vacuum switch. Now on the transfer case there is a vacuum switch with 4 vacuum hoses connected to it. Now use the pic below to do the following test. In 2wd use a vacuum pump to get 15 inches of vacuum to L. Now you should have vacuum to M. Now switch to 4x4 and apply vacuum to L and you should have vacuum to N. If any of this fails then the switch is bad. Let me know what you find and we will check the front differectial actuator next.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_164.jpg

Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
CV Axle Replacement